25 October, 2008

House Framing

I'm framing an addition on my house consisting of 2 bedrooms, an office and a bathroom........... I'm using 2x6 lumber for the exterior walls..................... Should I frame them 16" apart, or 24" apart? I heard that they could be framed on 19" as well. Which is best?

Louis Reed
Excelsior Springs, MO

Louis,
Your building code is going to call for 16" centers on exterior and load bearing walls. you can frame any partition walls with 2x4 lumber on 24" centers if desired. Be sure that any lumber touching concrete, is pressure treated. 19 3/16" (black diamond on your tape measure) framing is for roof trusses. It allows one less truss under an 8' piece of plywood. Be sure that you obtain all applicable building permits and inspections, to avoid problems later.

No comments:

Post a Comment