23 July, 2009

Determining property lines

I've recently purchased a parcel of land that butts against a mobile home park. There is a road that separates my property from the mobile home park. I recently started building in the middle of the property and I cut a driveway from the road to the house.

The manager of the mobile property stacked logs in my driveway and when confronted about it he stated that the mobile property ends 10 feet from the road into my side of the road. I can cut a 1/8th mile driveway from another road into the property, but I'm not sure that he is correct. He can't or won't produce a land map showing his property line. I can't afford to hire a surveyor, and definitely not a lawyer. HELP!

Ron J.
Lincoln NE

Ron,

Take this for what it's worth, as I'm not familiar with line boundaries and laws in Nebraska.

The only thing that I can suggest to you is a poor man's survey. Set some "T" posts along the line where you believe your property line is located. If they are torn out by the manager, call your local law enforcement. They will usually tell him to leave them alone until a survey is performed. If they are that serious about their 10 feet, then they will hire a surveyor themselves, or leave your property alone. Other than this, I don't know what to tell you. Land laws vary from state to state and county to county. You should be able to locate your property pins with a metal detector and a good shovel. Your best bet would be to just go to the county seat with your legal description of the property and buy a survey platte. They will have them on record. Use those measurements to locate the area where your pins are, and get yourself a line from one to the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment